Everyone has had a cheeseburger cooked on the grill. But, how many people have had a "grilled cheese burger" -- a burger cooked like a grilled cheese sandwich? If you're a comfort food junkie and you haven't had one of these, then you are certainly missing out. The grilled cheese burger is perhaps the ultimate comfort food. Below is the simple, but delicious recipe.
The ingredients listed make one grilled cheese burger. Obviously, you'll need more ingredients if you want to eat more burgers -- which you will.
1/2 Lb. - Ground Beef (85% lean)
2 Slices - Bread (I use wheat, you can use whatever you want)
2 Slices - Cheese (Any kind you want, as long as it melts easily)
1 Tbls - Butter
1 Tbls - Vegetable Oil (I use canola, but the choice is yours)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Melt butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Cast iron is definitely the way to go here. But, you can use whatever type you have.
2. When butter is melted add both slices of bread. Top each slice of bread with slice of cheese.
3. While bread is toasting, form ground beef into a hamburger patty roughly the same size and shape as a slice of bread. Add salt and pepper to each side.
4. After a few minutes the bread should be a nice golden brown and the cheese should be starting to melt. Take the bread off the skillet and place into a 275 degree oven to keep warm. I use my toaster oven because it's more convenient.
5. Add the oil to your skillet and turn up the heat to medium-high. Then, add the hamburger. Set a timer for 4 minutes. When the timer goes off flip the burger and cook for another 4 minutes.
6. The burger should be done at this point. Take the bread out of the oven and place the burger between each slice. Feel free to add any toppings or condiments you like. I prefer mine plain with ketchup on the side.